What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this German S.Mi.35 a variation, prototype, or reproduction part?

WWIIBuff

This "Bouncing Betty" (as described on the dealer site) just sold. Most of it looks like your standard S.Mi.35 AP mine, but the lid on it is quite different than anything I have ever seen. Has anyone ever seen this type of lid on an s-mine before?

ON5008 (1).JPGON5008 (4).JPGON5008 (2).JPG

Its a genuine mine produced for a very short period, not sure it was to make the mine more moisture resistant which was a great problem with S-mines as their charge and ignition system throughout the mine was black powder. Life expectancy for a laid S-mine was about 3 months in the ground after that the mine either went off above the required height, went off coming down or not at all. Certain periods of S-mines had a soldered sealing ring from the normal greased sealing compound or petroleum tape.

Its a genuine mine produced for a very short period, not sure it was to make the mine more moisture resistant which was a great problem with S-mines as their charge and ignition system throughout the mine was black powder. Life expectancy for a laid S-mine was about 3 months in the ground after that the mine either went off above the required height, went off coming down or not at all. Certain periods of S-mines had a soldered sealing ring from the normal greased sealing compound or petroleum tape.

Thanks. Do you know if there was a different nomenclature for this version than S.Mi.35? Also have you seen this version referenced in any type of manual or book that you can refer me to?

Usually these mines are dated 1940, as for reference not really much just the standard stuff. There's even no reference apart from photos of the lead tin sealed mines which were very common but hardly seen much now. As for being used for tanks, I don't think so, how do you fire it from a mortar barrel on the tank other than having an electric igniter or pull fuze to set it off. These mines when they go off do distort the outer pot especially at the base with a pronounced bulge.

Placing a mortar assembly within a barrel does seem to be a pointless exercise. Reading the Wiki for the Nahverteidigunswaffe (normal warnings apply), it does mention S-mines being mounted on tanks for close defence. This method, without official sanction (as far as I am aware) was used by some British tank crews by converting a Mine, Shrapnel to electrical firing and affixing it to the turret or deck of a tank.

TimG