What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dopp.Z.08 pictures needed

Alpini

Premium Member
Hello,

is there anybody here with a Dopp.Z.08 mechanical time fuze in his collection which can be dismantled? I am looking for good pictures of the clockwork. Especially a picture with the "setting disc" mounted on top of the clockwork would be a great help. Some basic meassurements of this disc would be incredible. Sadly my '08 is missing this disc and maybe some other minor parts too and some teeth of the gears are broken but the clockwork is still running after such a long time. So I will try to reproduce this disc because the chances to get a spare disc are nearly zero I think.

Regards, Alpini

Alpini,

What do you mean by "setting disc"?

From the time mechanism aspect, what is the difference between the Dopp.Z.08 and Dopp.Z.16?

TimG

Hello Tim,

the german name is "Stellscheibe" I don't know a good translation. It's a slightly cup shaped disc with a small slot on one side. This disc is rotated for setting the desired time. When the clockwork is running this disc rotates slowly until a finger is falling into this slot. Then the striker is released and hitting the detonator.

The equivalent (but different shaped) on a more modern Krupp/Thiel clockwork is called "hand race"on the No.206 fuze diagram.

The Dopp.Z.08 used the original Krupp clockwork and the Dopp.Z.16 used the improved Krupp/Thiel System. The Dopp.Z.08 was taken out of service short after introduction because of some problems. During 1st WW some of them were converted for use in illumination bombs. They removed centrifugal safety and changed the ignition mechanism from inertia to a pull wire.

Last edited:
Hello Alpini,

I don't know if these pictures could help
(first DoppZ08 for artillery and second for ill bomb)

Regards

08.jpg08 bomb.jpg

Hello MINENAZ16,

thanks for the pictures the second one I already knew I think it's from belgian DOVO collection. The (bright) disc which I mean is visible on both fuzes but I need a complete picture of such a disc. According the drawings it's not symetrical and I don't understand the drawings completely :)

Your first picture is interesting. It doesn't show a standard Dopp.Z.08 because they normally had no mechanics in the center of the cap. And it also has no impact mechanism screwed into the base. The centrifugal safety weight on this fuze is now the 3rd type I see. It seems they experimented a lot with them...

Does anyone understand what's the purpose of the two parts No. 26 & 27 on the drawing of the converted Dopp.Z.08 bomb fuze? Sadly my text part for the belgian "les Fusées Allemandes" is missing an explanation for this fuze. Or does someone know a different drawing of the converted Dopp.Z.08 bomb fuze? I know about a few more drawings of the Dopp.Z.08 artillery fuze but the artillery type doesn't have the two parts which function I don't understand. I guess the two suspect parts are safety releated but how? Part No.25 can be rotated by rotating the eye outside the fuze body. If it is rotated to much it is unscrewing part 36, 37 & 9 are becoming loose. Part 40 can be pulled by pulling one the eye of part 25 and is then releasing the clockwork.

Part 27 is fixed to the clockwork.

Regards, Alpini

Attachments

• Scan10084.jpg
    Scan10084.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Scan10083a.jpg
    Scan10083a.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hi,

thank you very much - I couldn't imagine that nobody has such a fuze.

It's doesn't answer my second question but my first question and some other questions which came while making the missing disc (I already finished a prototype). I see now, that part No. 1 is broken on my fuze. And I see that the very small rivets holding the small "pointer" on the disc are made from brass. I made them from iron with a diameter of 1mm. They are really not easy to handle :)