What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeppelin bombs

I see these are WWI Russian soldiers, or maybe, sailors (matrosen), I see a small Naval looking dagger on his belt. The sign above the door says "Weapons storage of commendant's headquaters". Are these Russian aerial bombs? I know nothing about this subject.

The spherical bombs were dropped by the Zeppelin fleet operated by the German Army. Having no fins, a rather elaborate All-ways Fuze was used, which appears to have had a time delay for arming. This seems to have used grease or other viscous material to retard the rotation of a disc. It has been suggested that the fuze may have been a modified Mortar Bomb fuze. A bomb like this was found just off the coast of Belgium not so long ago.
The only Zeppelin manuals I have seen all refer to the Naval versions, which used conventional cylindrical bombs. I often wonder how the spherical bombs were stored-perhaps in inclined troughs- A safety pin had to be extracted from the fuze to release the timer, so perhaps manual intervention was used. Use of a spherical bomb would seem to have assisted in accuracy, as wind would not have had much effect, I presume, and there was no variation in flight time as occurs with a tailed bomb while oscillating before finally orientating itself vertically. I suppose the reason that they were not used generally is that they wasted rather a lot of storage space, but the Zeppelin had plenty to spare! Also, because of their drag, internal carriage was a prerequisite. Additionally, for situations demanding penetration, they would be at a disadvantage, as the terminal velocity, though possessing such a bluff body, might be rather low. Also, if used against an armoured structure, using an allways fuze, with its intrinsic delay, would probably lead to the bomb breaking open on impact. It is noteworthy that casualties in attacks often seemed to stem from shrapnel from the case. Again, much of this would be ejected skywards, as would be the blast, another disadvantage of the spherical form. A further possible disadvantage is that increased drag when dropped from a plane having a high forward velocity, might destroy the forward horizontal velocity more rapidly, so varying speed could affect the aim? Any comment?
Has anyone heard of spherical bombs being used elsewhere? This doesn't include the rubber coated spheres used by the Rhodesian Air force as sub-munitions, and since taken up by South Africa(Alpha Bomb)

Some more of the same
The APK 32cm 100kg and its fuze
APK 32cm 04a-tafel-4a-bombe-ganz-u-s.jpg Zünder für die APK-Bombe 32 cm (1. WK).jpg Bombe avion APK allemande de 100 Kg.jpg
The APK 12.5cm
Grenade à main allemande de diamètre 12,5 cm lancée depuis un avion sur les troupes (vue de f.jpgGrenade allemande à main diamètre 12,5 cm lancée depuis un avion sur les troupes (.jpgGrenade à main allemande de diamètre 12,5 cm lancée depuis un avion (avec sa fusée dévissé.jpg

Elsewhere?
WW1 Italian "bomba sferica" (diameter 100mm - 110mm) hand thrown from the planes
bomba da aereo italiana sferica 4.jpg bomba da aereo italiana sferica 3.jpg bomba da aereo italiana sferica 2.jpg bomba da aereo italiana sferica.jpg

and later in the interwar period the Italian antisubmarine bomb "Sferica da 70 kg"
Sferica da 70.jpg Spherical bombs on rack - Copy.jpg

The UK Highball on the Mosquitos in ww2 but it was an operational testing ,more than anything else (but you may look also at the Upkeep bouncing bomb as an operational testing as it was in fact used only once, for the Ruhr dams raid, and never again) but it was not fully spherical.
Highball in Mosquito bombay.jpghighball.jpg
Some of the US designed BLU bomblets used in Vietnam era cluster munitions are more in line with the ww1 spherical bombs
BLU-24B and BLU-66BB BLU-24B and BLU-66BB.JPG
BLU-26 BLU-26 gern1.jpgBLU-26 post-3057-1327115465.jpg
BLU-42 BLU-42b or 54b (dummy).JPG BLU-42 AB.JPG

1) Prototype of the series of Barnes Wallis bouncing bombs (Unkeep & Hardball):
bouncing bomb prototype recovered from Fleet Lagoon Dorset DSCN1149.jpg bouncing bomb prototype recovered from Fleet Lagoon Dorset noppic-4930228.jpg bouncing bomb prototype recovered from Fleet Lagoon Dorset DSCN1144.jpg

2) Highball:
Highball Bouncing Bomb AB4C5C6951704DC4B3EFF3D8AE7D23AB.jpg Highball Bouncing Bomb stream_img.jpg Highball Bouncing Bomb images (1).jpg Highball Bouncing Bomb DFHneJzXUAAUX2O.jpg Highball Bouncing Bomb FROM-SCOTTISH-LOCH.jpg Highball Bouncing Bomb phoca_thumb_l_bouncing bomb highball in loch striven.jpg highball-bouncing-bomb 549344-highball-bouncing-bomb-re-floated-on-loch-striven-argyll.jpg Highball Bouncing Bomb image1 (1).JPG highball-bouncing-bomb 2617852073_3c8c0a5632_b.jpg
bouncing-bomb-barnes-wallis-rafbf-892.jpg Highball Bouncing Bomb idea5c.jpg idea5d.jpg