What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Spotting Charge

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Does anyone have documentation of a C-4 charge being used as a spotting charge in US practice bombs? I think this is an "Old wives Tale" handed down from generation to generation and somehow was made true.

Any ideas?

Joe

I do not think it's an old wives tale. The 152 mm Shillelagh shaped charge practice shell (painted completely blue) has a one pound TNT spotting charge, so I assume the same may be true for aircraft bombs.

Regards, DJH

If I recall right, the practice bombs for the MK 80 fanily, specially the 82, 83 and 84 used C4. I'll Keck the folders when I get home

Hi Jo,
have a look on the US TM B-2-2-11-5 U.S. BOMBS, PRACTICE, (LOW-DRAG), CONCRETE-OR SAND-FILLED, 250-LB, MK 81,500-LB, MK 82, 1,000-LB, MK 83, & 2,000-LB, MK 84; INERT, W/SPOTTING CHARGE, 500-LB, MK 82; INERT-LOADED, 500-LB, MK 82 (MODIFIED); AND INERT-LOADED, 500-LB,BDU-50/B

Yoda