What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm w/base fuze

Slick

Ran across this one in a box. Thought I knew what it was. Set it next to an M51 and found it wasn't that. No discernible markings other than the white paint mark on the fuze(SD tracer?). Anybody got details on it? Trying to organize (HA!) and label these things.

shell 37mm unk.jpg shell 37mm unk2.jpg shell 37mm unk 3.jpg shell 37mm unk 4.jpg

Hey,

Fuze might be russian, looks similar to the one used with the russian 45mm AP. The shell however looks German ... but than it should have markings.
Another track worth considering might be "japanese" . When I'm not mistaken, Japan used either bought/captured (Chinese?) 3,7 cm PaK 35/36. I'm not familiar with Japanese fuzes though.

Regards

Yep! Japanese. Thanks for the lead.
(Compliments of WW2 Equipment Data webpage)

Type 1 37mm High Explosive Projectile

This round is used in the Type 94 Anti-tank gun and the Type 1 Anti-tank gun.

Overall length of projectile: 104mm (no fuze) for all types
Length of complete round, fuzed: (94AT) 250mm (1AT) 333mm
Diameter at bourelet: 37mm for all types
Width of rotating band: 11mm for all types
Weight of projectile: 1 lb 6 oz without explosive
Filling: Picric Acid

Used in: Type 1 Tank Gun, Type 1 Anti-tank Gun, Type 94 Anti-tank Gun

Color and Markings: Black body, red nose tip, white body band.

Remarks:
This projectile is constructed of high grade steel. It has no sharply defined bourrelet. It uses a small Mk 1 base fuze which also acts as a base plug.

Last edited: