What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown partial item for ID

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
During a recent show I gave an evening presentation which briefly touched on problems related to collectors and the possession of items that may be energetic, followed by discussion on the need for us to police our own collections and ranks. The response was overwhelmingly supportive.

Typically during this show I offer informal assistance, in both the identification of potentially hazardous items and the removal of suspect items that the owners wish to be rid of. The items are individually assessed on safety, then, based on that assessment are removed from the site to a neutral location. From that location they are turned over to local bomb disposal with identification of their function, hazard and recommended method of destruction. Any reporting requirements are done under my name and the original owners are left anonymous. To date no items have been assessed as not safe for movement, but if this occurs it is understood that their will be no movement and disposal personnel will be brought into the show for response actions.

This year over 30 items were identified and removed, more than the previous five shows combined. Most were small items, fuzes, boosters, burn through self destructs etc. Several HE 20mm were identified, as were a couple of 37mm. An M49 trip flare was also volunteered for disposal. In most cases the items were brought forward and evaluation requested, in a few, items on tables were identified and the owners, once informed of the suspected contents, quickly released the items. In only one case did the owner object. He was requested to remove the item from his table and the property, which he promptly did.

One of the items I was asked to look at this year was a partial piece that I was not able to immediately identify. It has the appearance of an semi-armor piercing/high explosive projectile body, but is incomplete. No measurements were taken, but it was approximately 30mm in diameter, by about 75mm long. At a separate location a minute sample was withdrawn and a field analysis of the contents was done which indicated barium nitrate and pentaerythritol, but this may not be 100% accurate.

Does anyone recognize the piece?

IMG_2331.jpgIMG_2332.jpgIMG_2333.jpg