What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy 100th birthday to the RAF

Great to see a flight of three Spitfires in close formation doing a tight circle turn in the Biggin Hill area this morning. Unmistakable sound!

D

Yea. Thunderball! Watched it, again, about a week ago.
I was privileged to see the Vulcan at a Family Day event in RAF Lyneham back in '08. It was kind enough to land. The Lanc and 4 Spitfires just did a flyby. Eight Merlins turnin' 'n burnin'. Awesome.
IMG_1780.jpg

Last edited:
I remember listening to the BBC short wave coverage of the Falklands War (maybe "conflict", the word "war" might offend or scare someone into crying) that's before this thing called "internet", using a radio (a talking thing with an antenna), and hearing about Vulcans flying from Ascention Island. I did not know anything about this aerocraft but remember being impressed by the distance.

It was their first and only time dropping ordnance in anger.

An aside, I was able to look up into the cockpit area, from the ground, up through the ladder. The Barksdale AFB, LA example. It was pretty well gutted, sadly.
Vulcan 2.jpg

Last edited: