What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couldn't Resist This N°20 MKI Rifle Grenade

doppz92

Premium Member
Found this one this morning and when asked £85 I thought bargain! It is in very good condition, I don't think it was ever painted but had a red ring as can be sen on the pictures. It's fully stripable and has all the internal parts and retains its original string on the safety pin. However, when trying to insert it in a SMLE barrel, I was surprised to find out the rod didn't fit, although it does on a 8mm Lebel... After measuring the rod it appears it is just under 8mm and I am certain it's genuine. Did we provide these to the French? Also, could someone tell me which manufacturer made it? Thanks!
file4.jpgfile5.jpgfile3.jpgfile2.jpgfile6.jpgfile1.jpgfile.jpg

Clearly a fired relic refurbished but still worth the £85 any day. The red band may not be original. For the No 3 it was at the base of the body and for the No 20 it was at the top of the body. Finish should be either rustproofed (unpainted) or painted yellow ochre. On the 20 (both types) the pink or green band was in the middle of the body.

John

As John stated , probably a refurbished example as there appears to be no centre tube , the needle is missing from the pellet [always a giveaway] & the pin & cord are obviously not original to that particular grenade . The rod is not original . However , a very nice display piece & easily worth double what you paid . I have a feeling that "red" around the middle may , in fact , be the remains of its original pink band as they can change colour under certain conditions . Good find & thanks for showing it . Mike

Regarding the maker I can find one possible candidate.

Brown, Wilson & Son Ltd of Birmingham who are listed as rifle grenade makers. Can't be 100% sure though.

Regarding the maker I can find one possible candidate.

Brown, Wilson & Son Ltd of Birmingham who are listed as rifle grenade makers. Can't be 100% sure though.

Bowden Wire Ltd. 34,000 supplied from 1/4/16.

Thank you all, very interesting indeed, I thought the rod could have been a replacement but was hoping for a rare one version rather, one can only hope... It' possible it has been refurbished, however, Mike, what's make you say the pin and cord aren't original to this particular grenade? Regarding the body, after further research I found that some were rustproofed by the Fermangan process which apparently is similar to Parkerizing, so obviously the state of the body doesn't correspond to that of the rod. And yes, the center "red ring" could as well be an old pink one. Again, thank you very much! :top:

It looks in much better condition than the rest of the components . It's correct for that model but possibly from a different grenade . To be fair , i was being a bit picky with that observation , it's still a jolly nice example in my opinion . Mike .

Willesden Junction, NW London.

Got them now. Actually the famous maker of the Bowden Cables used for bomb release, gun firing on RFC aircraft and also in tanks. No mention of them making grenades in the main directory. The reason I didn't find them was that I checked the list of grenade maker's references to the makers names. I suppose they may have only had the single contract for grenades so like others are not included in the index as 'grenade makers'. I wonder how many contracts you needed to be listed as a grenade maker? So the main index of manufacturers is incomplete.