What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information on 5.25" Shell Required.

altec

In an online article about driving bands was the following photo used to illustrate the use of multiple driving bands. The shell appears to be a 5.25 from the marking which I thought had a single driving band. Any information would be appreciated.

5.25" Shell.jpg

In an online article about driving bands was the following photo used to illustrate the use of multiple driving bands. The shell appears to be a 5.25 from the marking which I thought had a single driving band. Any information would be appreciated.

View attachment 141954
I see just the one "driving band", the two upper narrow ones may be guide bands for the bourolet area which do not get engraved by the rifling.
gravelbelly

I see just the one "driving band", the two upper narrow ones may be guide bands for the bourolet area which do not get engraved by the rifling.
gravelbelly

Thank-you for pointing that out. So, to rephrase the question, was it common for 5.25" shells to have guide bands as the other illustrations I've seen of them only show the driving band.

Interesting shell. I only saw a SAP with one band.
Maybe a member could post other pictures of 5.25in HE shell ?

suggest you have a look at probert shells, cant remember if there was a 5.25, certainly was a 3.7in.

I read 3.25in on this shell, could it be possible ? Maybe an optical illusion.
A probert experiment ??

5.25" Shell - Copie.jpg

AA Command were developing 'new high capacity shells' post war for both the 3.7" and 5.25". How far this work got I don't know but could it be one of the these?

can confirm Shrivenham had an unfired 5.25in Probert shell in July 1992, I'd post a photo but my pc wont speak to either scanner since the last windows 10 update

Here is the very Cartridge 3.7" Mk 6 Gun HE with Probert driving bands, in1996.

Attachments

• Cartridge 3.7" Mk 6 Gun HE Proj w-Probert rifling - 1.jpg
    Cartridge 3.7" Mk 6 Gun HE Proj w-Probert rifling - 1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
can confirm Shrivenham had an unfired 5.25in Probert shell in July 1992, I'd post a photo but my pc wont speak to either scanner since the last windows 10 update

Yes, Probert it is. Just seen one of Ian Hogg's books in which he mentions a 5.25" Mk 3 that had RD Rifling. One gun built, trials 1944-46 and cancelled in 1948.