What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martini Henry drawn case but why no headstamp?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
good morning, and yes its still a wet and miserable day so a query on a Martini Henry round that I've long puzzled over. Its a standard drawn case but has no headsatmp. From memory it came with mainly naval rounds (.45 Gardners, 1" Nordenfelt, .5 Vickers, 1pd pom poms) so I presume it to be military. But why no headstamp?

Any thoughts appreciated as always

Dave

Attachments

• 100_3711.jpg
    100_3711.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_3712.jpg
    100_3712.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 57
Hi Dave, I'm afraid I can't answer your question as to why no headstamp but I will offer my thoughts. I have the same cartridge and I am confident that it is a military load. I have Peter Labbett's 'British Small Arms Ammunition 1864-1938' and based on the information in that book I've concluded that mine is a 'Cartridge Ball Martini-Henry Rifle Solid Case Mk II'. This version was adopted in 1886 and replaced the earlier short-lived Mk I which was introduced the previous year but was found to have a weak case. These Mk I cases were all unheadstamped so I can only surmise that early Mk II's followed on and were also made without headstamp. Jim