What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW1 1.5 pounder cases

Vasco Da Gama

As we move towards the centenary of the British raid on Zeebrugge in 1918 I thought to post some pictures of a pair of 1.5 pounder cases which came from some trench art. I have seen another separate piece of trench art from HMS Vindictive also bearing cut 1.5 pounder cases. I have no reason to doubt the label which indicates these cases came from HMS Vindictive, which landed Royal Marines on the mole during the operation to block U-boat access to the sea. This was a very hard fought operation and a total of 8 VCs were awarded for those taking part in the raid. I do understand many published works indicate Vindictive was armed with 2 pounder guns and do not mention 1.5 pounders.

The primers are damaged as the cases were screwed onto a wooden base along with the label. The damage to the neck and mouth of the cases is more interesting. I would offer these cases were picked up not long after the event and the damage could be from firing. If so the gun was really handling the ammunition very roughly.

posted for interest but very happy to have your comments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg