What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30,5 cm Kusten morser shell

thekees

Today's new member of the Biggies. an 83 cm high, 400 kg plus 30,5 cm shell, the early one with the driving band on the shoulder. Thanks Ben! on the bottom of the shell, the German arrow mark for practice is stamped, have to clean the surface more to check for more markings, however, i have problem to top it over (and back up).

The missing member in the row is a 24 cm HE shell WW1, so who knows where to find one? and still an 17 cm sprenggr WW1.

Attachments

• 30 morser2.JPG
    30 morser2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 115
might be worth looking at photos to see what sort of frame or jig they used in service to tip them or similar sized shell. then make one similar.

love those really big projectiles.you could tip it over but getting it back up would certainly be a problem

Today's new member of the Biggies. an 83 cm high, 400 kg plus 30,5 cm shell, the early one with the driving band on the shoulder. Thanks Ben! on the bottom of the shell, the German arrow mark for practice is stamped, have to clean the surface more to check for more markings, however, i have problem to top it over (and back up).

The missing member in the row is a 24 cm HE shell WW1, so who knows where to find one? and still an 17 cm sprenggr WW1.

Do you know official designation of this shell ?

Meanwhile, i found an interesting website in Belgium: http://www.cprh.be, however since today it seems not to work anymore, with a good discription of the German shells. found this image and it's exactly the shell i have, an 30,5 Hartguss granate L 2/8. From here, i'm looking for the guns, a bit harder to find on the net compared with the common WW2 stuff.

Attachments

• 30,5 shell.jpg
    30,5 shell.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 52
Chris, Thanks, for the name of the outstanding source. Do you now why his site is not reachable anymore? He has loads of good illustrations etc, on his site. As a matter of fact, one of the onliest sites that handles about German ammo between the 1850's and 1918.

Searching the web for this shell, i found out that German had a 26 cm gun on their early naval ships, and the corresponding shells. Has anyone information about these guns and or the shells?

kees