What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 7.7cm casing

Gspragge

Premium Member
These are common enough over here, but I have yet to find a projectile
for one in the last 50 years ! That is unfired and not a dug up example, though
even those don't show up here. Does the copper percentage mean this is a substandard case ?

Attachments

• IMG_0002 3.JPG
    IMG_0002 3.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0001 3.jpg
    IMG_0001 3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 89
Hello,

G=Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik Geisslingen (WMF, today famous for kitchen equipment made from Inox)
308=number of delivery
HL31=Acceptance stamp of the Hauptlaboratorium Ingolstadt
St=means the the case is thick walled, the exact meaning of the abbreviation is unknown. Some people think it means "Stark"=strong but I think it's something different because it' isn't sounding like "professional" german :)

The 67% copper stamp was added in late 1917 when the type of alloy was changed. It was added to not mix up these cases with cases with a different alloy during the recycling process.

Last edited:
Hi Kees,

your question brings me into trouble. I know I have a document about this change but I don't know where to search first and I am not sure if it is mentioning the percentages of the alloy. But I'll see what I can do later...

I found the document again. It's more complicated than I remembered. I am not sure if the following is valid for brass cases of other manufacturers,but it is valid for cases made by the AEG company. They delivered cases made from two alloys before the 67% Cu alloy was introduced:

Alloy No.1:

62-65% Cu
0,8% Pb
remaining part: Zi

Alloy No.2:

72% Cu
28% Zi

Cases of both alloys made by AEG had problems with hairline cracks and should be recycled. But both alloys should be recycled separately for not "contaminating the complete brass stock with lead". They recognized the type of alloy through the delivery number in the case headstamp because at this time no alloy stamp was in the headstamp.