What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 inch M10 Tank Destroyer Case?

peregrinvs

Hi,

A friend has just picked up this case (the longest one at the back) for me at a militaria fair and this is the only picture I have so far. It was bought on the assumption that it was a case for the 3 inch gun in the M10 tank destroyer. But having looked into further it seems to be a more complicated subject and there is a very similar but non-interchangeable case for a US Navy gun. Having browsed various threads on here, I believe the AFV and naval cases have slightly different shaped necks. Can anyone confirm what it is from this picture? My friend did measure it prior to purchase and it seems to be more or less the right length. He tells me the headstamps are unclear other than a LOT number.

Thanks,
Mark
3 inch case.jpg

There are many more Navy 3 inch cases than Army, and they are not the same. The only proper cases for the M10 are marked "Mark II M2" in brass on the head stamp or "Mark II M2B1" in ink on the side for steel.

It looks like the AT/AAA Army case. The Navy case has a more rounded neck and larger diameter below the neck.

Thanks for the replies. I don’t suppose there are any pics about that show the differences between the army and navy cases?

I would have assumed the army cases were more common on this side of the Atlantic?

Hope this helps. The brass one is Navy, the Army lacquered steel. Took along time and luck to find the steel Army 3" ones. One inked in Yellow, the other inked same , hard to see, but inked in red. I have seen only one brass Army 3" in five years, the owner would not ship it, only pick up. I did not want to drive five states over to Wisconsin.....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I'm sorry. You have a concrete piercing fuze on an 81mm mortar projectile. Your collector privileges have been rescinded and you must sell your collection!

Hope this helps. The brass one is Navy, the Army lacquered steel. Took along time and luck to find the steel Army 3" ones. One inked in Yellow, the other inked same , hard to see, but inked in red. I have seen only one brass Army 3" in five years, the owner would not ship it, only pick up. I did not want to drive five states over to Wisconsin.....
Thanks for that. Very helpful. The neck shape on my one appears to be closer to the army one. It's still with my friend, so I'll see if he can do me some more pics.

Is there any chance he could send a photo of the headstamp?

I passed on buying a couple of what I think were the Army 3" Cases at a car boot sale a year or two ago. The seller wanted £100 for the pair and wouldn't move on the price. Perhaps this is one of those same cases?

I'm sorry. You have a concrete piercing fuze on an 81mm mortar projectile. Your collector privileges have been rescinded and you must sell your collection!
You pay good attention to detail. I am guilty of putting a 1944 dated "T105" marked fuze on the pre war 81mm lamp base. I have a box of T105 , 1944, and M78 1945 dated fuzes I acquired and willing to trade a few for the correct fuze and adapter ring if anyone is interested. I gave up on filling the hole on the 81mm awhile ago.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 37
My friend has sent me a couple pics. Looks like it’s the right shape, but a postwar style primer(?)

Attachments

• 306749FC-582D-46A9-AAB6-CC9E765A8456.jpeg
    306749FC-582D-46A9-AAB6-CC9E765A8456.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 27
  • A78CE9D1-308C-4AB7-AB8A-E1267FD49037.jpeg
    A78CE9D1-308C-4AB7-AB8A-E1267FD49037.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 37
That is a threaded Navy primer making it a Navy 3 inch casing. Army cases have the French style, press fit primers.

That is a threaded Navy primer making it a Navy 3 inch casing. Army cases have the French style, press fit primers.
Unfortunately I think you're right. The neck length was confusing me, but I think it's an example of one of these which are described as a 'Mk3':

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/90008-Naval-3-quot-50-CAL-gun-cases

I think I can also vaguely make out '50 Cal' on the base of my one. Am I right in thinking the earlier ones had a longer neck?

Ah well. If anyone is interested in acquiring it, send me a PM. I have no idea of its relative worth or rarity, but I'd happily trade it for a WWII 3" M2 case or a WWII 76mm M26 case.

Last edited: