What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with a couple of .303 questions

John P

Sorting through my 303 I've a couple of things needing confirming.

The first picture shows a bullet in a Kynoch commercial case, can any one tell me what type of bullet it is?
_DSC5224 (2).jpg_DSC5225 (2).jpg
Picture 2 shows a couple of Canadian 303 with DCRA match band markings. The details I have indicate that the green one is associated with 1938 and the violet with 1939 but the headstamp have the dates around the other way. Is my list incorrect or does the headstamp/manufacture date not always match that of the DRCA match year?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

John P

According to C.R. MacDonald, cartridges produced in one year were assigned to the match of the following year. If there were insufficient quantities left over then current year production was used to make up the difference.

You could then expect to find a 1938 headstamp with 2 green bands for the 1939 match but you could also find a 1939 headstamp for the same match.

The band code is for the year of the DCRA match and the cartridge headstamp dates may vary.