What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60 lb Rocket Warheads

Buster

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
The pictures show two completely empty 60lb warheads for the rockets typically mounted on a Typhoon type aircraft during WW2. However, I am unable to establish exactly what they are. With Bonnex’s kind help the stampings on the warheads (see pic) seem to indicate the following:

60LB N1 Mk 2&3. N = Navy Fleet Air Arm?
FS [forged steel]
PAT LOT 1 6/60 [Patricroft]

The lot number June 1960 seems very late to me for the production of this type of weapon.

Bonnex also kindly sent copies of two British Rocket Stores Pamphlets one of which illustrates the 60lb warhead.(pic below) In them there are no holes at the rear of the warhead. In the examples I have there are two, one is empty and the other has a removable brass screw. Can anyone provide any further information on these warheads please?

The warheads will be given to the Typhoon restoration project, I know it is unlikely, but if anyone knows the whereabouts of any rocket motor bodies or fins to go with the warheads that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_4799.jpgIMG_9139.jpgScreen Shot 2018-04-12 at 11.53.40.jpgIMG_3176.jpgIMG_8378.jpg

Last edited:
Buster,

The 3" RP lasted until 1968 and probably the last FA aircraft to use them was the Supermarine Scimitar.

TimG

Thanks Tim I did not know that, any info on the design of the warhead?

No. However, I might well be at TNA next week and have some references that might shed some light on it.

TimG