What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Hispano plate test

ken68

Picked up this Fired 20mm test plate Hispano round ever since I got it people are trying to get me to sell it .
Are these quite scarce
Cheers Ken

Attachments

• 20180414150409_IMG_0546.jpg
    20180414150409_IMG_0546.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 96
Are you shure it's a plat test? Does it have SKF markings on the projectile body?
It looks simmilar to the Swedish 20x110 AP-T from SKF I have

Attachments

• 20x110G-Hispano-AP T-Sweden-02.JPG
    20x110G-Hispano-AP T-Sweden-02.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 63
Had loads of people confirming its a plate test projectile . no markings at all on body

Plate test projectiles

Picked up this Fired 20mm test plate Hispano round ever since I got it people are trying to get me to sell it .
Are these quite scarce
Cheers Ken

Many of these were fired during plate testing at Eskmeals test range on the coast near Millom. They were reloaded on-site with varying increments of propellant depending on the result of the previous shot. every shot was chronographed and the cases used repeatedly. Most fired projectiles are damaged by passing through plate, usually the driving band suffers most. Unfired projectiles are much less common and rarely show up in scrap from Eskmeals.

Different calibre projectiles were used in testing plate including 2 Pdr, 6 Pdr, 17 Pdr and 20 Pdr.

gravelbelly

Last edited:
​Hi Gravelbelly are these quite collectable I've had a few people wanting to buy it . I got it in a job lot of ordnance . on Facebook when I showed it in a group asking if anyone else had one I got a load of private messages asking how much . I was just showing it

​Hi Gravelbelly are these quite collectable I've had a few people wanting to buy it . I got it in a job lot of ordnance . on Facebook when I showed it in a group asking if anyone else had one I got a load of private messages asking how much . I was just showing it

I used to have quite a few of these which I fished out of a 40 ton pile of scrap projectiles from Eskmeals Gunnery Range. The Hispano case you have may have been fired numerous times, they were used until they failed. The gun was a fixed test barrel, single loaded. I took many projectiles, including these 20mm's to collectors meetings but there was little interest on the 20's. Eventually I resorted to a "Buy one get one free" resort, anyone who bought another projectile, including 81mm mortar and 155 Howitzer, got one of the 20mm's thrown in, whether they liked it or not.

gravelbelly