What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.450 Martini Henry commercial round but why green paper patch?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
good morning, I wonder if anyone can advise me of the significance of the green paper patch to this .450 Martini Henry round. Its a standard commercial headstamp - Kynoch .450/577. I am familiar with white & orange patches but not green.

any thoughts?

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_3816.jpg
    100_3816.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 39
Dave, this is Ball, Carbine, Cordite, Mk I and was most likely for military contract circa 1903. It was loaded with a 410gn bullet and had a 34gn charge.
Jim

Dave, this is Ball, Carbine, Cordite, Mk I and was most likely for military contract circa 1903. It was loaded with a 410gn bullet and had a 34gn charge.
Jim

Many thanks for that Jim, but would the it have had the commercial style headstamp if it was a military load? It came with an assortment of old military & commercial rounds

Dave

Hmmmm, not sure. My understanding is that this commercially-marked ammunition was bought by the Government to make up any shortfall but I can't find any documentary evidence to back that up. Perhaps Roger M. will chime in and clarify?
Jim

Hmmmm, not sure. My understanding is that this commercially-marked ammunition was bought by the Government to make up any shortfall but I can't find any documentary evidence to back that up. Perhaps Roger M. will chime in and clarify?
Jim

OK Jim, thank you for that - I'm sure Roger won't be able to resist commenting!

Dave

I hope he does! I have the same cartridge and, based on whatever info I might have found years ago, I've catalogued mine as being for military contract.

Hi all,

Having looked at Peter Labbett's book on British military ammunition, and spoken to a fellow collector of British ammo, who has been collecting and researching for far longer than me, I believe that this Cordite load for the carbine is strictly commercial. The military ones were admittedly only made by the Trade (mostly Birmingham Metals & Munitions, and Kynoch), but had either military-style headstamps (e.g., K C I) or were unheadstamped.

The commercial ones are not too uncommon, and can sometimes be found in their red & yellow commercial packets, but I have not managed to find a proper military one in 30 years of collecting!

Regards,
Roger.

Hi Dave - should that be .577/450?

you mean because the manufacturers call it that, it must be? If I'm not mistaken Tony, Rover always advertised their cars as the best thing since sliced bread - it didn't necessarily mean they were! I prefer generalities, I feel safer there. Is it a .577 necked down to .450 or is it a .450 necked down from a .577?

Dave!

you mean because the manufacturers call it that, it must be? If I'm not mistaken Tony, Rover always advertised their cars as the best thing since sliced bread - it didn't necessarily mean they were! I prefer generalities, I feel safer there. Is it a .577 necked down to .450 or is it a .450 necked down from a .577?

Dave!

That wasn't my point, Dave - I was just asking (for someone else - it's a micro-calibre by my standards!) what the headstamp actually is.

hi Tony, its 'Kynoch 577/450'. It came with an assortment of military & commercial rounds so there wasn't a trend that gave a clue to its origin, it has no primer. Dave