What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M821 mortar round crate

Slick

Initial guess is this is a Canadian item. But then again, it reflects weight in LBS and dimensions in feet. So maybe not a product of Canada. And then there's the "C868" on the end and in S/N. C = Canada? And the color being brown. Am guessing most US stuff is OD.
The top notes "AMMUNITION FOR CANNON". The front makes note of it being for 3 rounds of M821 81mm mortar ammo. Maybe repurposed at some point. The bottom impression "C005 C001 MK1 PMD 83". There's that C again.
Won it in an auction some time ago(still has the old MANIONS tag) and don't remember details, or if there even were any.
Any info appreciated.

crate mortar top.jpg crate mortar front.jpgcrate mortar inside.jpg crate mortar end.jpg crate mortar bottom.jpg crate mortar tag.jpg

Last edited:
Slick,
You have the metal container that houses 3 plastic tubes , pictured. Interestingly,the US used them in the first gulf war, as your picture, due to our shortages of the M821 rounds which were manufactured by the Brits until we began manufacturing our own. The US 81mm mortar ,the M252 is a British designed mortar. Our TM's even mention use of the " British style" of packaging, plastic waterproof tubes in your metal case, along with our own ( black tar papered tubes in wooden crates). Look up the M821 in the Ordnance TM and you will see mention of the British used style packing. Yours was made in 1990, my mortars and tubes are dated 87 and 88. The C868 is the US "Dodac" designation number I believe.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
More, from the US TM. See the pic of one of our mortar crews in action, notice the Brit plastic tubes. I have an M821 with an inert M734 fuze, Brit plastic container, but unfortunately the wrong fins on it, and no metal three round container as you have......hmmm.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 8
  • image.png
    image.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 14
I'd seen the bit about the British history of that round. Makes sense that the can ended up in these parts. So British, not Canadian. I may even have one of those tubes laying around somewhere.