What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prussian DEMONTIRGESHOSS

Bellifortis

Hallo,
just today I downloaded a bookletfrom 1873 that was originally planned to be used at the "Royal Prussian Officers School". There I found the attached drawing of 12 and 15cm DEMONTIRGESCHOSSE. I think this will mean Antimasonry Rounds. I have never seen anything like this. in any collection, anywhere. Does anybody here know of a collection including this ?
regards,
BellifortisDemontirgeschoß.jpg

Hi,

Could help to have the text related to those drawings.
Can you put a link to the book, please ?

S.

If I remember right these were tested in Poland, maybe at Silberberg (former prussian territory) in the late 1850's. So if there is any of them existing then maybe in a polish collection. I don't think that there's one in a german collection.

Hi sgdbdr,
the resolution of the scan is not high, so I can't read everything.
(ausgeschieden) = withdrawn
12cm, im Durchschnitt = vertical sectoning
Kegel = Cone
Trichter = funnel
rechwinkelige Einschnitte = right angeled notches
(Reifelung) = rifling
https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_y-taAAAAcAAJ I hope this will help and that the link wil work.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Hi,

Could help to have the text related to those drawings.
Can you put a link to the book, please ?

S.

Last edited:
There are 3 results here : https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ls?field1=ocr;q1=DEMONTIRGESCHOSS;a=srchls;lmt=ft

One in French, two in german.

In "Revue d'Artillerie", Rough translation : 12 and 15 guns can fire a particular projectile called turbine-projectile or Demontirgeschoss. Fluted, cylindro-conic shape, very obtuse head and hollowed on the other side. In the head, four hélicoïdal canals. Gazes through these canals give a rotation movement to the projectile. Meant to target materials, had good results up to 7-800m. Beyond that, rotation is too slow and trajectory becomes erratic.

Cheers,

S.