What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Lake Erie Chemical Explosive Gas Grenade

M8owner

A friend of my found two hand grenades in a foot locker he bought from the estate of a US WWII veteran. The fuses on both are inert, but there are things inside both. There is a glass container in the gas grenade, and a bag inside the blue training grenade. I could not answer his questions: 1. What is in the bag? 2. What is in the glass container? The glass container is still filled with liquid. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Pineapple 1 (1).jpg
    Pineapple 1 (1).jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Pineapple 2.jpg
    Pineapple 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Pineapple 3.jpg
    Pineapple 3.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I don't know about the gas grenade,but would be very careful with that one.The practice grenades used a small black powder spotting charge inside and a cork in the bottom.That may be what that is.

As a semi-learned grenade guy, I agree with everything Rifleman2 says.
Irritants are not fun.

Hi,
I think It's The lake Erie Green Band, Bursting grenade. Designed by D. Goss and was derived directly from the version shown in his US patent, 1,878,491. The green band grenade was produced continuously from the patent date until 1948.
This tear gas grenade employed the same chemical grenade body developed by the Army during the World War I.
The liquid filler for the Green Band grenade consisted of about five ounces (142 gm)of a mixture of 25 per cent CN dissolved in 75 per cent ethylbromacetate, which still remains the standard Lake Erie liquid tear gas agent.

JM
Capture d’écran 2018-04-22 à 10.59.05.jpgCapture d’écran 2018-04-22 à 10.59.13.jpgCapture d’écran 2018-04-22 à 10.58.41.jpg

Also, it sometimes happened, that Officers also added "Adamsite" or "DM" to these grenades and you absolutely do not want to mess with that stuff as it can kill you. If this grenade just has CN in it you're OK. I have been exposed to OC, CS, and CN as a Chemical Munitions Instructor for our department. CN just takes a little longer than CS before it really kicks in. Just FYI.