What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 37mm Rounds - Pre War?

M8owner

I friend of mine just purchased these from the estate of a US WWII veteran. I do not recognize them as WWII Japanese 37mm ordnance. May I request your help in identifying them? Thank you.

Attachments

• Jap Shells 2 (1).jpg
    Jap Shells 2 (1).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Jap Shells 1 (1).jpg
    Jap Shells 1 (1).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 85
I agree with Hazard. Japanese rounds that length are necked, not straight sided. Also, I could not make out any kanji markings.

The Japanese used a lot of British sourced weapons, particularly their Navy.
The 2 Pdr was one of them,known as the 40mm Vickers (Type 40mm Machine gun), nice to see Japanese headstamps on an other wise common round.
The white projectile was a APHE type.

I believe they are WW 2 Japanese. The cases are stamped S with the number 12 over the number 17 immediately to it's right. This stands for Showa Dynasty, 12th month, 17th year, which would be December 1942. The Japanese dated their cases in traditional Japanese numeric markings OR in this style which was much more compact.
Very nice items!

Difficult to see on the photos, but there is at least one kanji stamped to the right of the date, this appears to be , there is another symbol above this, either another kanji or possibly an anchor.