What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 4,5in gun cartridges

fert

Premium Member
Hello,
I would share with you my 4.5in gun set, and ask some info about how cartridges works.
IMG_2570.jpg
I have boxes for 1st and 3rd charges

again I'm looking for info about this artillery regiment:
IMG_2572.jpg

any help appreciated

all the best

That is a 'stalk' type charge. The red cloth contains the igniter and is placed breech end. The igniter is ignited by means of a Tube, P.S.A. (percussion small arms) which is no more than a .303" cartridge case.

The third charge is an increment, to be used as and when required.

The black band above the driving band denotes this is a gun projectile not an howitzer one. The marking was used when there was a howitzer of the same calibre.

If the markings on the third charge box are an accurate reproduction, it's Canadian. BO/C - Defence Industries, Ltd., Bouchard, Canada.

The last box (C224) was made by LAY/C - L.A. Young Ltd, Windsor, Canada. Suggest you look for a Canadian Artillery Regiment.

TimG

Hello Tim,
thanks a lot!
from what I know charges 1, 2 and 3 were used. if so, how charge 2 was shipped?
fig-3.jpg
unfortunely I only have this bad pics, and can't read marking on charges.
best regards

Going by the weights

From left to right –

A. 2-lb, 15-oz. This Charge 1 to DD(L)8723

B. 3-lb, 1-oz. This would appear to be Charge 1 to DD(L)15775 although the description given seems to differ.

C. 9-lb, 2-oz. This is Charge 2 to DD(L)8202. Comprising of Charge 2 and 1 increment tied together.
(Charge 2. 6-lb, 7-oz. Increment 2-lb, 11-oz.)

D. 10-lb, 9-oz. This is Charge 3 to DD(L)15776. Comprising of Charge 2 and 1 increment tied together.
(Charge 3. 7-lb, 9-oz. Increment 3-lb, 0oz.)

DD(L) – Is a drawing number.

TimG