What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martin Baker Ejection Seat training cartridge

Falcon

This is a recent car boot sale find. Sorry for the poor photos. They were taken with a phone camera in poor lighting.

Approximate size is 37mm diameter, 55mm length.

Can anyone tell me any more about this item?

Thanks for any replies.

mba1.jpgmba2.jpgmba3.jpg

Interesting, it looks very similar to the Primary cartridge,but that usually has a rim.
Never seen one with training in the headstamp, lucky find.
The primary cart sits at the top of the ejection gun and gives the initial push to the seat, then boosted by the secondary carts (the flat type)that gradually increase the pressure for seat ejection.
The 'gradual' is relative,as it all happens in milliseconds.

What is the information in the circle on the base of the item mean?

I've never seen it before.

Joe

Thanks for the replies.

Tim, do you have any pages showing how the training unit functioned which you could scan and upload?

Falcon,

At the moment, no. However, I'll endeavour to get the information in the next couple of weeks.

TimG

Based upon my experience in the RAF.
In the 1950s and 1960s aircrew were subjected to a practise ejection during their initial training. This was not as explosive as you may first think. From memory there was a basic rig with a lattice column on which an ejection seat sat. You strapped yourself in as normal and then pulled the ejection handle, the result was a short ride of about 25ft up the rail. You would not leave the seat and it would gently return to the base position, very much like a fairground ride. I would imagine the cartridge used by this rig would be far less powerful than that for a live seat and therefore would need to be clearly marked. If accidentally fitted to an aircraft seat the consequences could be fatal.
By the time I joined in the 1980s common sense had broken out and the practise discontinued. It really taught you nothing and risked injury for no real benefit. Pulling the handle is not the demanding bit, the drills associated with getting out of the seat and landing, especially in water, are far more entertaining. I am sure there must be pictures of the aircrew ejection training rig on the Internet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I think I have seen a similar case marked as a Primary cartridge before which had a rim. Perhaps this was to prevent confusion?

Thanks for that Tim. I see the diagram of the ejection gun clearly shows where this cartridge case was inserted.