Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 67 Times in 39 Posts

    WW1 Fuze – German?

    I’ve not seen this type of brass time fuze (Rheinmetall?)without Arabic markings (from the Crimea?) before. There are in fact very few markings at all –can anyone identify it please? Depotman

    DSC_0892.jpg
    DSC_0894.jpgDSC_0893.jpg

  2. #2
    Ordnance Approved
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    FRANCE
    Posts
    1,972
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,803
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 694 Posts
    Hello,
    Belgian used exactly the same krupp fuze with marking EP.
    Romanian also had this fuze in service.

    Regards
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

  3. #3
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 67 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MINENAZ16 View Post
    Hello,
    Belgian used exactly the same krupp fuze with marking EP.
    Romanian also had this fuze in service.

    Regards
    Thank-you MINENAZ16, because there are no markings, does this mean that it is a German fuze? Depotman

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 670 Times in 399 Posts
    It's a french fuze made by Schneider (with a design which made it compatible to Krupp fuzes). Just difficult to say for which country.

  5. #5
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 67 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpini View Post
    It's a french fuze made by Schneider (with a design which made it compatible to Krupp fuzes). Just difficult to say for which country.
    Thank-you Alpini, again, have you a date for this fuze? Depotman.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 670 Times in 399 Posts
    Bulgaria would be a candidate too.

    Krupp started with these fuzes around 1900. I think Schneider started to produce compatible fuzes some time later, I think around 1905. They got orders due to political descisions in the buyer country (and maybe because of the price). The buyers mostly wanted to be independent of suppliers of a single country.

    The first guns in countries like Romania /Bulgaria with these fuzes came from Krupp, later french guns had better technical data than the older Krupp guns so these where ordered. But with the requirement that the same ammunition of the Krupp guns is used. And again I think there were also political descisions involved.
    Last edited by Alpini; 23rd April 2018 at 11:47 PM.

  7. #7
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 67 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpini View Post
    Bulgaria would be a candidate too.

    Krupp started with these fuzes around 1900. I think Schneider started to produce compatible fuzes some time later, I think around 1905. They got orders due to political descisions in the buyer country (and maybe because of the price). The buyers mostly wanted to be independent of suppliers of a single country.

    The first guns in countries like Romania /Bulgaria with these fuzes came from Krupp, later french guns had better technical data than the older Krupp guns so these where ordered. But with the requirement that the same ammunition of the Krupp guns is used. And again I think there were also political descisions involved.
    Thank-you once more for sharing your knowledge - it is much appreciated. Depotman.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 670 Times in 399 Posts
    The center of the first picture is a little bit out of focus. If you could take a better picture with the percussion setting good visible (if it still has one) the chance for a better identification will be increased a little bit ;-)

  9. #9
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 67 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpini View Post
    The center of the first picture is a little bit out of focus. If you could take a better picture with the percussion setting good visible (if it still has one) the chance for a better identification will be increased a little bit ;-)
    I hope that these pictures will help. Depotman

    3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top