What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 US .30 ammo can, need info

I have this WW2 ammo can with a strange long latch on the side. Internet sources that I find can only say it is WW2. Why the strange long locking tab? The other side has "Reeves" with the ordnance bomb symbol. Most boxes I have seen do not have the extra long locking tab. See pics.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpg

probably added by someone to make the box lockable,you certainly wouldn't have an ammo can with a lock on it.just imagine at the firing point,"whos got the key for the ammo box!"

probably added by someone to make the box lockable,you certainly wouldn't have an ammo can with a lock on it.just imagine at the firing point,"whos got the key for the ammo box!"
No, I have seen many others with the same long tab with a slot in it ( which is why I am posting this). See the picture below I copied from the web. That said, mine has an " L" shaped tab with hole riveted on the box which passes thru the slot on the long tab enabling it to be locked- that tab I believe was added onto mine. All the other examples I have seen also have a slot in the long tab but w/o the locking tab. I just saw a dozen of these cans (pictured ) on a half track at this weekends MVPA show.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 23
This weeks CAF show, for interest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
We have about 2 dozen of these WWII cans that we display on our halftrack (along with 10 .50 cal cans). I am by no means an expert on .30 cal. cans, but I have some pictures attached of our cans and some observations below.

So all of our cans have the long latch with the slot. None have a tab that sticks through the slot, so I would definitely say that was added. I have multiple boxes produced by Reeves, Canco, Crown and one that is unmarked. The main difference between the manufacturers lies in the hinge construction and how it is attached to the can (rivets vs. spot welding). Crown produced cans are also a little simpler in the stamping.

Also there are three types of the metal .30 cal cans produced during WWII (as far as I know); the T4 Ammunition Chest, M1 Ammunition Box and the M1A1 Ammunition Box. The T4 was the first to be developed and was designed to be used in tanks and other armored vehicles, usually these are painted in white or red-oxide primer. This box had two latches on either side that rotate to lock the lid on. After some redesigning, we have the M1 Ammunition Box which was the standard used during the war (the majority of my cans and your can pictured). Further refinements led to the M1A1, the big difference being the latch on the side for use with the M1917A1 cradle as well as a new hinge, lid and latch design. These were produced late in the war (around March 1945 if I recall). I have a few photos attached of the three cans side-by-side, I can of course take more/better pictures if you need.

Hope this gives you a little help! As I mentioned, I am no expert just sharing the little bit I know. If anyone has any better info, please feel free to add and/or correct me. :)

Ty

Attachments

• IMG_4916.jpg
    IMG_4916.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4918.jpg
    IMG_4918.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4919.jpg
    IMG_4919.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4920.jpg
    IMG_4920.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4921.jpg
    IMG_4921.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
We have about 2 dozen of these WWII cans that we display on our halftrack (along with 10 .50 cal cans). I am by no means an expert on .30 cal. cans, but I have some pictures attached of our cans and some observations below.

So all of our cans have the long latch with the slot. None have a tab that sticks through the slot, so I would definitely say that was added. I have multiple boxes produced by Reeves, Canco, Crown and one that is unmarked. The main difference between the manufacturers lies in the hinge construction and how it is attached to the can (rivets vs. spot welding). Crown produced cans are also a little simpler in the stamping.

Also there are three types of the metal .30 cal cans produced during WWII (as far as I know); the T4 Ammunition Chest, M1 Ammunition Box and the M1A1 Ammunition Box. The T4 was the first to be developed and was designed to be used in tanks and other armored vehicles, usually these are painted in white or red-oxide primer. This box had two latches on either side that rotate to lock the lid on. After some redesigning, we have the M1 Ammunition Box which was the standard used during the war (the majority of my cans and your can pictured). Further refinements led to the M1A1, the big difference being the latch on the side for use with the M1917A1 cradle as well as a new hinge, lid and latch design. These were produced late in the war (around March 1945 if I recall). I have a few photos attached of the three cans side-by-side, I can of course take more/better pictures if you need.

Hope this gives you a little help! As I mentioned, I am no expert just sharing the little bit I know. If anyone has any better info, please feel free to add and/or correct me. :)

Ty

Thanks for taking the time posting pics and the differences. It will help when displaying ammo, the 1917 can could be displayed with metal linked ammo ( with 1945 head stamped cartridges) and the long tab with cloth belted ammo with 1942/43 stamped cartridges.Correct?