What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British victorian era 64lb R.M.L ,6.3 inch shunt gun

Wgreen

Hi to all I know some people like the older stuff so here is some pics and info on a Victorian era 64lb r.m.l for the 6.3" shunt gun rifled by Armstrong
This is a 64lb cast iron common shell which I believe has been converted from a mk iii to a mk IV as the latter is said to have an unloading hole which this shell does not have and on the base there is a faint crossed out iii and used for gunnery practice going by the markings of a capital G on one of the studs, made by and most likely converted in 1875 by R.L (royal labs) there is also a u.c stamped into the body next to a stud which means undercut attachment and refers to the copper studs also on the base is a large capital D which after much searching I found reference to different types and classes of cast iron and there markings, B which I have also seen on some early shells ,C and D ,the 22/9 I am not quite sure about I have seen a few early shells again with these sort of markings and have heard them described as dated markings but I am not sure about that unless it is the day/ month but without the year ? The full year of 1875 is stamped into one of the studs if anyone can clear this up for certain that would be great also has a nice mk 1 plug in g.s gauge marked W D ( war dept)
09299960ccfe0a6297301d51f8268bc0.jpg
bb5f418029caaf0d19e29d68e331f8b2.jpg
ec0334c0c24f527639fa3958fc34d43f.jpg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

Very interesting.....1875, the shell is nearly one and a half century old....