What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery British Cartridge Case - 1898

peregrinvs

Hi,

I spotted a case for sale at a local antiques centre that piqued my interest because I didn't recognise it. I don't have any pictures or proper measurements, but it was about 4 inches across the neck, about 8 inches long and had the same sort of even notches you get on the neck of the 12 pounder 12 cwt case. The head stamps appeared to be British and it was 1898 dated.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
Mark

PS. I was also pleased to find an unfired 1940 dated 2 pounder AP shot, but that's another story.

A couple of further notes; it was the same sort of shape as a 2.95” mountain gun or 3.7” howitzer case. It was also stamped as being loaded with a full charge and then reloaded 3 times with a reduced charge.

That sounds like a 12 Pounder 8 Cwt. They were made for a Naval landing gun which could be dismantled for carrying ashore. The cases are not common.

How much did they want for it? I would say it was worth going back to buy it.

As the notches are still there, it's a good sign it has not been cut down.

Last edited:
That sounds like a 12 Pounder 8 Cwt. They were made for a Naval landing gun which could be dismantled for carrying ashore. The cases are not common.

How much did they want for it? I would say it was worth going back to buy it.

As the notches are still there, it's a good sign it has not been cut down.

Thanks. Having since browsed some previous threads, that would appear to be it.

It was just south of 30 quid IIRC. No primer, but otherwise quite good condition. I don't collect naval ammunition, but it might be worth adding to the strategic swaps reserve if it's rare.

Last edited:
I would say go back and get it at that price. The last few I have seen for sale were priced around £50. It would make a good trade item.