What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.8cm head stamp

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, I picked up a 8.8cm steal case the other day, its stamped Ck which i know is Metallwerk Neumeyer Munich, and i would like to know, what does the letters stand for 6347 St, and the waffern stamp WaA 838 i can't find. and help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 88 base.jpg
    88 base.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 54
The Germans being the meticulous people they are, assigned serial numbers to all guns, theirs and captured enemy guns, so they could make sure to have the right ammo for each gun. I believe the 6347 is the number assigned to the particular 88 that the case was loaded for.

If you can get a copy of Hogg's book, German Artillery of WWII, he has the numbers listed for many of the guns.

Thanks Hazord, i have just found that and ST is steal, so just the waffern code i can't find.
all the best
Andy

The Germans being the meticulous people they are, assigned serial numbers to all guns, theirs and captured enemy guns, so they could make sure to have the right ammo for each gun. I believe the 6347 is the number assigned to the particular 88 that the case was loaded for.

If you can get a copy of Hogg's book, German Artillery of WWII, he has the numbers listed for many of the guns.