What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A grand assortment

Slick

Having recently spent untold hours sorting through and displaying a 40+ year collection of SAA, and tiring of it, I felt I had completed that task. But NOOOOOOOO!
I had to go and order the "WHOLE SHEBANG". Plus a couple or three outlier sets of inert cartridges. Almost 100 rounds. Upside, they're all different. Don't have to mess with picking out the best example from a box or bag. These all have the primer pockets drilled out, so they'll never be wasted during a shootin' fest. Plans are to make another bullet board. Just trying to decide on the design. Suggestions welcome.

bullet dummy.jpg

Having recently spent untold hours sorting through and displaying a 40+ year collection of SAA, and tiring of it, I felt I had completed that task. But NOOOOOOOO!
I had to go and order the "WHOLE SHEBANG". Plus a couple or three outlier sets of inert cartridges. Almost 100 rounds. Upside, they're all different. Don't have to mess with picking out the best example from a box or bag. These all have the primer pockets drilled out, so they'll never be wasted during a shootin' fest. Plans are to make another bullet board. Just trying to decide on the design. Suggestions welcome.

View attachment 142633

Years and years ago I assembled a " current manufacture center fire cartridge " bullet board. I went to a local cabinet shop and they had discontinued/ blemished red oak doors, I picked out the largest ones ( 10 each) about 20 X 36, arranged the types from smallest to largest, flat lacquered the cartridges, had labels printed (black lettering on gold back ground) , clear siliconed them to the board. I sold them all out in a month. I wish I still had one, I gave one to my brother and he still has it hanging on the wall...still looking like day one. I dated the backs, his was dated 1989. Says he has been offered silly prices for it over the years, but " not for sale". Well made bullet boards seem to always sell if you get tired of looking at it. Be sure to " date " on the back, I had 1/4 lettering numbering punches I heated up and burned it into the wood.

Last edited:
Rick, I suggest big gobs of Gorilla glue. It expands nicely and will give your project that authentic "I'm-a-child-building-a-bullet-project" look. All your friends and neighbors will be jealous! ;)

Rick, I suggest big gobs of Gorilla glue. It expands nicely and will give your project that authentic "I'm-a-child-building-a-bullet-project" look. All your friends and neighbors will be jealous! ;)

I was thinking a bead of Liquid Nail from a caulking gun would provide a quick and solid mounting, but the Gorilla Glue sounds more aesthetic, what with it puffing up and all. I like puffy displays.

If you really like puffy displays, try some of the insulation foam in a can. It really puffs up, and it's sticky as hell!

Last edited:
Picasso - philistine! This is more after the school of Mark Rothko (Four Red cases on Beige) with a hint of Jackson Pollock. This piece is destined for the Guggenheim.

"Four Red Cases on Beige"

I was going to throw it away. No way I can do that now. It will be displayed with a name tag.

Oops! Gotta go. MOMA is calling!

Last edited:
"Four Red Cases on Beige".............I'm dyin'!!! Gotta put that out as a SLICS display. I was one of the judges this year...you'll have my vote!
"Cartridges As Art". I'm sure you can work that into an educational theme.

Finis!
Bullet 4 red cases on beige.jpg
So, it's done. Can't afford a fancy brass nameplate(spent it all on dummy bullets), so I went with magic marker.
Bidding is now open.

*Includes full color printout, on GP Standard Multipurpose Paper, of this thread. Which will help future generations understand the WTF of this.

Last edited:
PROGRESS REPORT:
Even after that last bit of "Four Red Cases..." shenanigans, the gist of this venture still has to continue. Without a definitive design. This progress includes rubbing each round with Johnsons Paste Wax. Literally polishing each and every one. Very hands-on. The idea with that is to delay/deter tarnishing. Did it in the Navy to save work. Hopefully will last even longer on untouched specimens. Going as far as handling them with conservator's gloves after the waxing. It may all be for naught, but I tried. Besides the glue idea, I'm considering wiring them to the board. That's gonna be a chore. We'll see.