What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 37 x 165 Type 96, 98 or 100

Antman

I just got a Japanese 37 x 165 Type 96 or 98 or 100. Is there a way to tell which it is? There are no markings on the side of case. The projectile is the HEI type with the screw in brass PD fuze. What is the proper type name for this fuze? Also, the projectile is all black. All the pictures I can find show a yellow band near the nose and some pictures show an additional white band just above the case mouth. What is correct? Can anyone interpret the headstamp and markings on the projectile?

The Japanese had a couple of different color codes, so variations are common depending on when it was marked. Many of the projectiles were also universal to different cases as well.

Sorry, but I have no way to do a photo of the markings. Here is the best I can do:

Headstamp:

F (2 JAPANESE CHARS.) (2 JAPANESE CHARS.) (CROSSED CANNONS) 5

Projectile:

(CHRYSAMTHIUM) (CROSSED CANNONS) 11 (3 JAPANESE CHARS.)

I realize this is not much to go on, but even knowing the typical info found such as Arsenal Name, Inspectors Marks, etc. in those positions will help.

Third graders have cell phones that take pictures.

BOCN has a no-photo no-ID policy.

The problem with drawing worn or poorly stamped markings is that if you don’t know what you are drawing, then the image can be incomplete or incorrect.

This is what I can tell from your drawing:

Projectile; date is November 1940.
The markings are read from right to left.
11五十和昭 (showa reign, 15th year, 11th month)
Crossed cannon is Osaka Army Arsenal.
The marking you think is a chrysanthemum is not a chrysanthemum, but I cannot tell from your drawing what it is.

Fuze; date is June 1941.
The markings are read from right to left.
(inspection stamp from Tokyo Arsenal, it is the ‘To’ kanji)
6六十昭 (showa reign, 16th year, 6th month)

Headstamp;
I think you might have 四十 marked as a date, which with the 5 would indicate May 1939, but it might be a type marking. (A photo would have been so much easier to read)
Crossed cannon is Osaka Army Arsenal.

Slick--Thanks for fixing up my image.

Reccetrooper--Thanks for the interpretations. As for the "Chrysanthemum" mark. it looks just like the mark used on all Japanese stamps of the era to indicate the royal household or government ownership. I had hoped that some part of the headstamp would help me figure out which of the three load types of this case length I had.

Antman - The chrysanthemum is a sixteen petal flower design. It was stamped on the receiver of most Arisaka rifles, but on very little else in the way of military equipment.

I had wondered if it was the mark for the 1st Tokyo Army Arsenal, two concentric circles in a five point star, but the crossed cannons are without doubt Osaka Army Arsenal.

If you have a friend with a cellphone that has a camera, ask them to take a photo and send it to your email address. Save the photo on your PC and you can them upload the photo on here.

I am familiar with the Tokyo Arsenal mark and it is not like that at all. It is just like the mark you mention on the rifles.