What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37 mm Ammunition box find....

starshell

Premium Member
Hello all,
Went to the local recycling centre yesterday to dump an old table and found this interesting 37mm wooden ammunition box in the waste container.
The jovial waste 'official' there let me buy it for £1....
Although its not in my sphere of collecting (Great war artillery), I thought it well worth saving.
Hope you enjoy the pics!
Cheers!
IMG_1541.jpgIMG_1542.jpgIMG_1543.jpgIMG_1544.jpg

This US ammunition was used in the M3 artillery piece by US, in all theatres, as well as in their light tanks like the Stuart. The Stuart was also used by the British mainly in N Africa during WW2.
This particular package was obtained by a Lt Green, possibly HLI or HAC, but the unit is indistinct. By the time the now Captain Green became due for posting, probably overseas, he forwarded some of his possessions to his new unit via the military Movements Forwarding Organisation (MFO). The particular movements manifest number is handwritten on the package label.

AE501;
Many thanks for the info. Other than the Lt Greenhill found on the box, there is also 'Capt Greenhill', and below that in the same pen, '1st Reinf*****ent unit' (Reinforcement?).
You've answered my question about the label. I thought it might have been a packing label at first. Despite the old woodworm holes, the stencils have survived pretty well and the box is still solid as a rock. I'll bung it in the classifieds at some point this weekend. Its a nice piece, just 25 years too late for me!
M8 OWNER;
$100!! Jeez, just 3,000 miles too far....Saw your example in your thread ("Worlds largest collection of 37mm..) Very nice collection.
Thanks guys.