What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British victorian lead coated 7 inch R.B.L/Armstrong 1865

Wgreen

Hi thought I would add to my recent posts on Victorian artillery projectiles
This is a 7 inch rifled breach loaded projectile designed by and to be used in the Armstrong gun this example is Armstrong's version of a (palliser)shot made very thick and strong with a small bursting charge, named a battering shot by Armstrong this is the only mark of this design of projectile,made in 1865 by R.L (royal labs)the Z on the base means coated with zinc/lead mix and the B is the grade of cast iron used the projectile is 12 inches tall, the 7 inch gun used to fire these projectiles was also known as the 110 pounder and had polygroove rifling much like the guns of today as well as being breach loaded and were truly a amazing development in Victorian engineering only it would seem let down (much to it's inventor Armstrong's dismay) by the limits of metals of the day and poorly trained personnel who were used to rolling round balls down the muzzle of there guns and after the Armstrong breach loaded guns had been in service for only a short period they were replaced by Rifled muzzle loading ordnance a step backwards maybe
aa7d1f1ff7dad420bf39ba3ad9dd5d0b.jpg
c3e7611be3be124146a3e2e1900d895f.jpg
65eead105f986803d21ab158f2aae57d.jpg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk