What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RN 12 Pounder 8 CWT Case

peregrinvs

The subject of the 'mystery 1898 dated case' thread... I followed Mr Falcon's advice and went back and purchased it.

12 Pounder 8 CWT case (1898).JPG12 Pounder 8 CWT case (1899).JPG12 Pounder 8 CWT case (1900).JPG12 Pounder 8 CWT case (1901).JPG12 Pounder 8 CWT case (1902).JPG12 Pounder 8 CWT case (1903).JPG

It seems to have had a lot of reloads. Would the reduced charge loads be for use as a saluting blank? I was interested to learn that the 12PR 8CWT gun is the one used in the Royal Navy field gun race.

I don't specifically collect naval ammunition, so this is available for trade or part exchange. My main interest is British and German tank ammunition. British cases on my want list are:

3 Pounder 2 CWT
3.7" Mortar
120mm TK

And German:

7.5cm KwK 37
5cm KwK 38
5cm KwK 39
8.8cm KwK 43

PM me if this is of interest.

Cheers,
Mark

peregrinvs
Could you please measure the case length of your 12Pr 8Cwt case. My one is 195mm long and has no cut-outs. Possibly cut-down.
It is 1918 LH converted 12Pr 8 12 Cwt (with 12 barred out.) K CFF.I am not sure how to send a photo.Rim is 104mm Diam. Thanks.
I wish to know the correct length .

They exist with and without notches, length should be 199 mm.

I thank you both for this information.
Hawkinson's book does not show the length for one with cut-outs. I will look for one.