What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flak 18 ,88mm HE colour

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, I have been trying to find out what colour yellow the Flak 18 HE 88mm is, as i am going to restore one, i have looked on line but can only find pics of them,is there a paint number ?
Cheers
Andy

Funnily enough I was looking into this question earlier this week as I have a hankering to put together a Tiger E type HE round. I came across a comment on the web that it was RAL 1006 Maize Yellow. It’s a possibility, but I don’t know if that’s correct.

Funnily enough (again...) I used Humbrol 24 when I repainted a WWI 18pr HE shell. It's quite a golden yellow and I wouldn't use it on a WWII German HE shell. I think you'd want something with a slight 'mustard' tint to it.

Funnily enough (again...) I used Humbrol 24 when I repainted a WWI 18pr HE shell. It's quite a golden yellow and I wouldn't use it on a WWII German HE shell. I think you'd want something with a slight 'mustard' tint to it.

Yes i will have to play around with that one, and yes your right it needs a tint of mustard added to it.
Cheers
Andy

Just as a thought, a Spreng projectile for a Tiger would not be yellow...but green, at least that is my understanding. As for the Flak round, yes,, a difficult colour to match. I'll be very interested to see what the experts say.

Just as a thought, a Spreng projectile for a Tiger would not be yellow...but green, at least that is my understanding. As for the Flak round, yes,, a difficult colour to match. I'll be very interested to see what the experts say.
Were KwK HE shells always green? I thought I'd read somewhere that 8.8cm HE shells started off as yellow and then went green later in the war. Maybe that was only Flak shells?

Well done for finding that. However, what is in brackets says it all.. mit 8,8cm Spreng L 4,5...which is the Flak projectile.
I think any gunner in the turret of a Tiger would have been rather confused if he pulled this round out of the ammo storage bin.
But then, who knows ? Many strange things were done in haste in those years.

It was the US who changed HE from yellow to green during the war. Germany used to use grey then changed to green. As I always say though....that is MY understanding and I am always willing to learn. No-one ever knows it all.

All very confusing...

So what is the correct HE shell for the KwK 36 gun and how do you ID them? I’m investigating getting an 8.8cm HE, but want a tank one, not Flak.

Thanks,
Mark

I believe that German Army HE shells from WW2 were generally painted "Olive Grey", which is RAL 6006. No doubt there were exceptions....

I have collection 2 original shell. Purchased from Finnish Army. Finnish Army used only Flak 18.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 78
I have collection 2 original shell. Purchased from Finnish Army. Finnish Army used only Flak 18.

Thank you Tmine35, thats just what i was looking for a picture of an original one, my case i have has traces of the yellow inside the neck and it matches your shell, thank you.
Regards
Andy