What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Piat

FZG76

Ordnance approved
Hello everyone

for the restoration of a PIAT I research the information on the different models for a perfect designation. Difference between MK 1-2-3-4....
Does anyone have the color codes to redo the painting.

Thanks for your help

20180509_1241133.jpg

These are original paint & markings but do not know what Mk. they are. Paint work ink stencil dated 12/42.
Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• DSCN1660.jpg
    DSCN1660.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1661.jpg
    DSCN1661.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
You might find the attached extract from a June 1945 Indian Ammunition Pamphlet of interest. As well as covering the differences in the HE marks it mentions the Practice, Drill and Practice Shot as well as the interesting (and unusual) Bomb, Smoke, Bursting.

The PIAT was still in British Service when the 1954 Inter-Service Ammunition & Ammunition Package Markings for Mortar Bombs etc., was 'promulgated' so there are marking schedules for the PIAT which differ slightly from the wartime, 1945 and 1948 regulations.

View attachment PIAT NOTES(OPT).pdf

Which model with a single headdress. No crimping of the hollow charge.

SAM_0321.jpg

Bonnex said:
...it mentions ... the interesting (and unusual) Bomb, Smoke, Bursting.

"The bomb is fired like an HE bomb and is supposed to produce both incendiary and smoke effects."

The statement that it is "supposed" to do something suggests some doubt as to the efficacy of the arrangement.

Tom.

Last edited:
It also seems a rather expensive way of delivering just 13 oz of WP onto a Tiger 2. I guess you hope the Panzer Grenadier RSM doesn't notice that you have set light to his personal kit hanging on the hull.

I am not sure if this bomb was in Service in the European Theatre. Most likely it was for the Far East bunker busting troops.

I have only seen one in the UK (below).

PIAT-WP.jpg