What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yugoslav bombs 1941

Dreamk

I just found a number of photos taken by the Italians on the Mostar airbase in 1941. These are the best photographs of interwar/ww2 Yugoslav air-dropped ordnance I have seen so far.
1 - Stankovich 12kg bombs
Deposito di bombe serbe abbandonato a Mostar nella primavera 1941 19983.jpgbombe abbandonate al campo di aviazione di Mostar distrutto dai “Picchiatelli” e dai.jpg
2 - Italian 50kg bombs (probably bought together with the SM79s used by the JKRV)
Resti di un aereo incendiato e bombe abbandonate all’aeroporto di Mostar nella primavera 1.jpgMunizioni serbe abbandonate a Mostar nella primavera 1941 19995.jpg
3 - French ? bombs:
bombe abbandonate al campo di aviazione di Mostar distrutto dai “Picchiatelli” e dai.jpg
4 - Vistad bomb of French bomb (much similarity with the Type L 410kg bomb that existed in a number of small variants)?
bombe serbe abbandonato a Mostar nella primavera 1941 19985.jpg

For comparison a bad photo I have of Vistad 100kg bombs:
Vistad 100kg bombs.gif
an unidentified 100kg bomb used by the Croat air force later in ww2
Image1.gif
and of the Stankovitch 106kg - quite different
Bombe STankovic 106Kg on Yugoslav do17k-bomb.jpg

5 - unidentified bombs (3 bodies and tail units, separated in same crates):
Cassette di bombe serbe abbandonate a Mostar nella primavera 1941 19993.jpgCassette di bombe serbe abbandonate a Mostar nella primavera 1941 19994.jpg

Another bad quality photo I had shows that some British bombs were also in use, delivered with the Blenheims to the JKRV
Image2.gif

I'd be delighted if someone could add more info to these

Another small piece of info - in 2009 the body of a French 125kg naval bomb ("enveloppe legere") was excavated in Trebevic in central Bosnia and Herzegovina, southeast of Sarajevo.

Thanks for the photos, they are great! And on Trebević it was actually 50kg bomb misidentified at the beginning. That type was used by the Germans designated as SD50frz and dropped in 500 kg containers. Here is the photo of that bomb I made during disposal.

Attachments

• frz50.jpg
    frz50.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 52
This makes more sense that the 125kg naval bomb which is supposed to have been a local production by the Vichy forces in the Levant. French armament industries produced and sold extensively to the Germans 1kg, 10kg and 50kg bombs, beyond the number of such bombs that fell as war booty during the May1940 campaign. The DT50 bomb was especially appreciated for its splinter capacity, making it in fact more efficient against infantry and light armoured targets than 100kg HE bombs.

Today recovered remnant of the VISTAD 12kg bomb. Not in great condition but with reasonably high accuracy I can identify the item.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 39
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: