What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.5lb Naval Automatic Cannon shells

Millsman

Premium Member
I've just bought two 1.5lb Vickers Sons & Maxim (VSM) projectiles and cases but know very little about them. They are both dated December 1914 on the projectiles and the cases are rooted in a sort of solid rubber base for display purposes. The projectiles are un-fired with bands intact.

Are these projectiles rare?

SSCN8160.JPG

Any insight would be appreciated.

John

Thanks for the link,

The key paragraph seems to be:

"It soon became obvious that the low velocity of the 1 PR was a handicap in dealing with aircraft, so more powerful versions were developed. Vickers, who made Maxim guns, produced first the 1¼ PDR and then the 1½ PDR Mk 1 naval guns, both firing a much more powerful 37x123R cartridge (the 1¼ PDR was loaded with the shells from the 1 PR, the 1½ PDR had heavier shells). These saw very little use, however, before being replaced by the 2 PR No.1, basically the same but with the case necked out and extended to 40x158R. Although primarily designed for naval use, it was employed in land service as well during WW1."

This confirms what Highlandotter says perfectly.

John

Who says these are at all common, I've never found one ! Can you show the cartridge bases.

Yes, John. You have made up for my stinginess off words. I have both the 11/4 pdr and 2 of the 11/2 pdrs after 20 years of searching. Only COW rounds and Nordenfelt 38mm have been scarcer.

Do the projectiles come out? If so are they fuzed,that would be a bonus! If the don't then as Gordon says remove them from the bases.These are not common unless you have a big wallet. Nice finds. Tig.

I won't be touching them. I'll leave that for the next custodian. I've seen too many damaged items so would not want to degrade them in any way.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 1 1/4 pdr. They must be even rarer.

John