Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

106 MM HEAT Fins

Just wondering has anyone tried to straighten the bent fins on a 106MM HEAT Projectile.If so what's the best method.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by millector View Post
    Just wondering has anyone tried to straighten the bent fins on a 106MM HEAT Projectile.If so what's the best method.
    I will add my 2cents as to what I would try. If they are aluminum, I would remove them and " press" them flat with a vice and two scraps of hardwood,...cut the wood to the size of the fin, place one piece on each side, ( fin sandwiched between the hard wood), and put it in a vice and squeeze it straight in the vice jaws. Reason, aluminum work hardens and can crack with each time it is worked. Best to do it in one operation instead of repeatedly hammering it which will work harden and crack it if it is 7075 or 2024 grade aluminum. I used to fabricate aircraft parts, and am familiar with work hardening, annealing, tempering aluminum. If it is 7075T6, it will crack after a few workings, if it is 2024 T3 ( my suspicion), it can be worked more times, if it is " O", it can be formed unlimited with continued annealing ( bring to 920 degrees, and water quench) Either case, one or two attempts , no more, in the vice should work. Let us know.
    Last edited by 917601; 16th May 2018 at 10:22 PM.