What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A very nice fuze that nobody apparently ever bought

Bellifortis

I really like this idea. But, a good idea alone is apparently not enough. It seems as if nobody ever bought this mine-igniter fuze.
Cheers,
Bellifortis.A Very Nice Fuze-Igniter that apparently Nobody Ever Bought.jpg

that fuze is listed in TM 9-1985-2,german explosive ordnance as the s.mi.z.44 push pull type,so it must have been in use with the german forces

In all my years of colecting I have not ever seen one. And I have seen the large collections of private collectors as well as EOD reference collections.....none!!
As I understood it was found to be too sensitive and prone to accidents.

Regards, DJH

Hi,
you did not look exactly at the drawing. There are some big differences between the S.Mi.Z.44 and the above drawing. But, I myself had to take a 2. look to find the differences. Compare the strikers and the top of the barrel. This fuze is an improvement on the S.Mi.Z.44 Apparently its watertight and less dangerous to set than the old fuze.
Greetings,
Bellifortis.
that fuze is listed in TM 9-1985-2,german explosive ordnance as the s.mi.z.44 push pull type,so it must have been in use with the german forces

pictures for comparsion

Hi,
here now some pictures, which are detailed enough, so you can discern the differences to the improved fuze. P.1 and P.2 are german pictures of the S.Mi.Z.44
P.3 is taken from TM 5-280 . The original S.Mi.Z. 44, as you can see had a "Tellerscheibe"(platedisk) on top of the barrel to hold the "Striker arms". These also are much differently shaped in the improved model. Also the striker is much differently shaped at its top-end. These are the main differnces. The drawing of the S.Mi.Z.44, that is published in TM 5-280 (P.3) is different again. It's something in between the 2 models. It seems to have been prepared from german development drawings. Here the barrel already has the edge at the top and no plate-disk as support for the retaining wings.
regards,
Bellifortis.
Bellifortis.P.1-S-Mi.Z.44 - Kopie (768x800).jpgP.3-S-Mi.Z.44 in TM 5-280 - Kopie (533x800).jpgP.2-S-Mi.Z.44 sectioned - Kopie (800x758).jpg