Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    The paint job has been on there a long time, John, it doesn't look like anything recent. Maybe the 'someone' was the War Department! I have 2 other WW1 36 Mills with identical colour green bands, one of which also has remains of red Xs. Could these have been old stock repainted for WW2 use; I know they re-issued WW1 Mills at the start of WW2 (my '39 REVO) Incidentally, my WW2 Mills green bands are a different shade to my WW1 Mills?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Dave

Green bands were used on the No 5, 23 and 36 in WW1 but seemingly very little of it ever survived. On some grenades you see the remains of the red filled band, and more rarely remains of a pink band that has faded to an off white or grey, sometimes yellowish colour. I don't think the green had any staying power and flaked off over time. WW2 paint was better and has in many cases lasted 70 years.

The green paint was made up in the factories thus:

Celestial blue, dry 1 oz
    Yellow ochre 8 oz
    Terebene 12 oz

It was only designed to last a few months, not 100 years. So I'd say most WW1 paint on grenades, especially in complete bands is a repaint. As I said, M&Co went into liquidation in 1919 and although there were large stocks of WW1 grenades between the wars, I doubt if repainting for WW2 was done. If anything WW1 stocks would have been used for training but not operations.
    William Mills - Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12