What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$26.50 plus shipping, found in a coin estate auction.

The only picture I have till I can take better ones. I made a bid at a maw and paw coin auction, I wanted the crimped 40mm Borors round and noticed the red WW1 75mm shrapnel shell was in the same lot....I put a max of $40 on the lot...final price was $26.50. I am not a WW1 ordnance collector, but may become one. I noticed it is red in color, maybe an original paint job? See pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Other than " winning" one once in a while, I am interested to hear from members about the desirability of WW1 items. I pulled a few old posts up and what stuck in my mind by one who posted pics of a huge WW1 shell collection, " a very narrow market" he said, the post was dated from 09 or so. We all know the WW2 market is on fire ( compared to ten years ago), member's thoughts, comments, insight appreciated.

A definite win on your part. Congrats on that. I attended a recent sheriff's auction and won an Arisaka Type 99 rifle for $120. Gunbroker has listings for them in the $250-500 range. I was giddy. Luckily, it was a small auction with no one interested in military stuff, apparently. Back to your question, other than a handful of WW1 vintage grenades, I only have a few projectiles and cases from that era, in comparison to my WW2/Korea/VN era items. I suspect that's due to availability in the US. I tended to acquire whatever popped up if reasonably priced. I have never been focused on any specific era or ordnance type. I quit the online auctions a while back, so not sure what the current offerings may be with regards to WW1 goodies. I suppose the EU options/offerings of WW1 stuff are greater due to proximity of battlefields and the like, with commensurate lower prices. All this stuff has gotten out of hand, cost wise, for me. I'm in the "Get Off My Lawn!" stage now, and when I see MKII grenades in the $300-350 range, German sticks going for $700-900, crap like that, I just go wtf and ponder selling off everything. Cash in, so to speak. For your sake, collection wise, and knowing of your displays, WW1 ord will help in educating those who have no clue about history. I'd say start a new section. Expand the displays. Your efforts are worthy and admirable. Keep it up.

I collect WW1 and before. There are many reasons, one being the great variety of countries involved and another, all the great advances in ordnance technology and wild imaginative, experimentation. Prices are up and available items are down, but still makes for an interesting area to collect. Big problems is getting items safely from over seas, where the supply is much greater. If you decide to enter the field, I hope you have great patience. Beside having cash, you will have to wait for items to come on market and wait for delivery, Good Luck, and Happy Hunting, the Otter

I collect WW1 and before. There are many reasons, one being the great variety of countries involved and another, all the great advances in ordnance technology and wild imaginative, experimentation. Prices are up and available items are down, but still makes for an interesting area to collect. Big problems is getting items safely from over seas, where the supply is much greater. If you decide to enter the field, I hope you have great patience. Beside having cash, you will have to wait for items to come on market and wait for delivery, Good Luck, and Happy Hunting, the Otter

Thanks for the reply, can you post some pictures and details of your WW1 " stuff"? Pictures always generate a lot of interest.