What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORSINI Bomb

Bellifortis

Attached is the most precise technical drawing of the so called Orsini bomb. which should have killed Napoleon III, which I have seen up till now. It was published in an german magazine of that time. The casing (actually 6) were manufactured on thORSINI 004.jpge order of Orsini in a Birmingham metal-workings establishment.
Cheers,
Bellifortis.

Hello

More info. Orsini Bomb in Spanish Magazine "Ilustracion Iberica (1893)" and "Anales Dramáticos del Crimen. Causas Celebres (1859)"

Páginas de 1893_11_18_La Ilustración ibérica (Barcelona. 1883). bomba liceo_grafico orsini_02.jpgraju_0026_bomba orsini.jpg

Last edited:
The attached, which were photographed at Osborne House, are presumably Orsini inspired. The background to them takes "Stop and search" to a whole new level.

TimG

gren.jpg

Is this an Orsini?

Is this any relation to ORSINI? Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• Grenade swing-1.jpg
    Grenade swing-1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Grenade swing.jpg
    Grenade swing.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 31
Hi,
the caption under the grenade made me delve into background history. This was the time of the German-French War 1871 and the "Paris Commune". The members of the commune were fighting for democratic rights, that seem to be normal to us nowadays. The woman caught with the grenades was most probably one of the all-women brigades that were fighting for womens rights, which also to us are normal. Thanks for showing the photo that made my historical knowledge increase.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
The attached, which were photographed at Osborne House, are presumably Orsini inspired. The background to them takes "Stop and search" to a whole new level.

TimG

View attachment 143240

Hello,

This is the Orsini Bomb variant used in attack to "El Liceo" in Barcelona (Spain) on 1893/11/07.
This bomb was designed by the Italian anarchist Franchesco Momo, who died in Barcelona (Spain) on 1893/03/13 while manufacturing those devices.
It was used, first, by Paulino Pallas against General Martinez Campos and later by Santiago Salvador in "El Liceo" attack. The bomb of the image, which is exhibited in the Museum of History of Barcelona, was one of the two devices launched by Salvador at "El Liceo" and which, fortunately, did not explode, even so, the attack caused the death of 20 persons.

1024px-MUHBA_Orsini_bomb.jpgLiceubomb.jpg

Last edited:
You are right. At that time all over the world citizens were fighting against the "Royal opression" and for their citizens rights. They were called by all kinds of different names. I wonder, who was that "Colonel Malet"that presented those 2 grenades to Queen Victoria. I assume that the sign with that caption was made a long time after 1871, when Communists were general enemies in the public mind. I'm also surprised about the many different models of hollow metal-balls with percussion nipples on the surface, for ignition. I want to thank all those who posted those fotos. Up till now I only knew of 1 US handgrenade like that.
Regards,
Bellifortis.
Should the caption actually read communard rather than Communist? I didn't think communism existed in 1871.

Hello,
from my archive, all founds in Italy. unfortunely no other pics.
regards

I just got this wonderful piece of history a few weeks ago. There is some great information in the above links but my Italian is non-existent.
I did find another site http://www.talpo.it/bomba-orsini-1850.html which has a translation feature. From what I can gather, the early models were filled with fulminated mercury and although this resulted in an extremely violent blast, the grenade body was pulverized, providing no fragmentation. They then switched to black powder which was still effective and did produce fragments.
Rule #1, once the caps are installed on the nipples, HANDLE WITH CARE!!!
100_7872.jpg100_7871.jpg

Last edited:
. From what I can gather, the early models were filled with fulminated mercury and although this resulted in an extremely violent blast, the grenade body was pulverized, providing no fragmentation.

Must have been the most dangerous grenade to handle.