What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Markings on a 1918 37mm. Shell?

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

This one was a lamp at one time, :angel: but it had some interesting marking on the shell, so picked it up for $25.

The case is dated 4-18, and deeply stamped on the projectile are the following:

PBH 21-31
P-MAC
21-24

one over the other.

My camera is kaput! But working on it so I can get a photo.

Thanks for any help deciphering!

- Mike

Well, got a new camera that was a disaster. Nice outdoor pics, but no closeups... so back to my older 3.0mp Olympus.

Anyhow here are a couple that hopefully display what I mentioned.

Oh, I also wondered about the three screws at the top of the shell. I thought they were to stabilize the lamp stem, but the screws really don't go in far enough. Will double check to be sure.

Attachments

• P1010029a.JPG
    P1010029a.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010029b.JPG
    P1010029b.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
It's a French Mle 1918 HE, post ww1. The three screws are the safety device (originally covered in a hard wax). What is in the tip, a brass piece with a slot, or just a hole, you mentioned as a lamp, what is the lamp damage. What is the casing it is in.

Attachments

• Pages de Terre_06-2.jpg
    Pages de Terre_06-2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 56
Thank you! The hole at the top is threaded, fuze?

I'm assuming (yikes) a lamp, but maybe just a display piece? The primer? is gone, and there are three holes randomly spaced in the base of the shell. The base is stamped:

P?DS 132 (some characters missing because of holes)
37-?5
MS
4-18
Flaming Bomb

Awesome photos! Didn't know about the screws behind wax. Oh, you can see all the way through from the primer to the top, that's what made me think of a lamp. And, are the markings normal for the HE Shell?

Last edited:
Markings are normal. The nose held a screw in brass firing pin, removed it would make it easy for
lamping, if there is a hole trough the bottom of the projectile then that is what happened. MS would seem to
indicate that the case was upgraded after ww1 with an improved primer.

Belated, but Thank You very much!

In hospital and recovering for quite a while.... :tinysmile_shutup_t2

Markings are normal. The nose held a screw in brass firing pin, removed it would make it easy for
lamping, if there is a hole trough the bottom of the projectile then that is what happened. MS would seem to
indicate that the case was upgraded after ww1 with an improved primer.