What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hertz Mine Horn

ron3350

Another mine query. Is this Hertz Horn British? Pre 1920? A friend said it looked Japanese but has no Jap markings, only English.
It is marked: M.D.C a f with a possible 1 on another flat side.

It is 145mm long. 31mm lead diameter. 32mm brass. 35mm lead ring. Thread is 38mm or 1.5" 14 TPI.

Attachments

• DSCN8465.jpg
    DSCN8465.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN8466.jpg
    DSCN8466.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN8467.jpg
    DSCN8467.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 45
I have several Japanese bases, one still with the complete horn, all are well marked with Kanji on the brass section. I'm at work and have no clean photos, a crop from a cabinet shot is the best I can do for now.

IMG_1269.jpg

I meant to say German and not Japanese. I have never seen a German horn but I think my item is British.
I will leave it to the experts.

US-Subs.
A nice Japanese selection in your photo plus a horn to look at. It has more bands than my photo.
No comments from anyone else?

The empty leadtube of a Hertz Horn can really not be called a Hertz Horn, which it always is, in the many offers I have seen on the net. A complete Hertz Horn I have never seen offered, I'd like to have one myself. Here https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30021222 you can see a complete Hertz Horn : Lead Tube, Acid ampule and the casing with the battery-plates and contacts.
Regards,
Bellifortis.