What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USN MK25 8 Inch

orcutteod

Picked up this USN 8 inch the other day, also enclosed is a side by side comparison with a USN 5 inch. I'm in need of a fuze and am having trouble finding one. Interesting to my surprise the 5 inch fuze fits on the 8 inch. Anyhow anymore info on the shell is appreciated.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Well, you seem to have a good taste for beer, Grolsch is one of the better Dutch brands. :)

You have a variety of options for something to fill the top of your 8 inch. All of the WWII era design Navy projectiles from 5 inch to 16 inch have the same fuzewell diameter and thread. The fuze you show with your 5 inch 38 projo is the first generation Proximity fuze. They show up quite often. For armor and concrete piercing, the 8 inch could use a solid steel nose plug with an auxiliary detonating fuze attached to its base and a base fuze in the projectile. Sometimes a steel reducing adaptor was installed in the fuzewell combined with a nose fuze that had a smaller thread diameter. Check the various surplus stores and millitaria sites on the web.

The 5 inch even came with a fuze cover but that won't fit on the 8 inch. I'm in the process of getting another Navy fuse from the person I got the 5 inch from. I plan on restoring the 8 inch and am hoping I will find a maker mark on the shell. If so I will let you know so we can determine exactly what year it was made and where it was made.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 13
The ID should be stamped on the rotating band. You need to take a file or dremmel tool and clean up the external threads on the projo before the fuze cover will fit.

The person I got the 5 inch from has 2 available 5 inch fuzes so that is good news. Anyhow when I'm done with the rehab job I will post more pics.

Attachments

• 5 inch fuze.jpg
    5 inch fuze.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 21
As suspected I did find some more markings while removing the rust. I'm not sure what they mean probably inspection stamps. I decided to go with (battleship) gray but still have the stencil markings and diameter stripe to do. I chased the threads with a dremil tool and had no problems installing the fuze.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 19
Correct colors here:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-Navy-from-the-O-Brien-room?highlight=O'brien

Photos 2, 3, and 5 show HE projectiles with WWII color code. HE shell gets 1 caliber (in your case 8 inches) of yellow from the top of the body down. Then 1 inch of white to signify tracer, and then the rest green. Photo 4, AP-HE could be gray and photo 5, a cargo projo could be gray for a leaflet/propaganda cargo. The Silver projo is radar jamming Chaff.

Last edited: