What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown zinc and brass fuze

Tony-

Hello,

Can anyone help me out with the ID of this fuze and country of origin please?

It’s belongs to a 75mm shell which has a total length of about 265mm.

As it’s mainly zinc with some brass my first thought was WWI German but all I could find was something similar (all brass) used by the Belgians.

I did read somewhere that Germany used the Krupp 75mm in South West Africa during WWI or is that completely wrong?

Thanks for any help.
Tony

Attachments

• WP_20171014_09_26_56_Pro[66231].jpg
    WP_20171014_09_26_56_Pro[66231].jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Image14.jpg
    Image14.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 59
This material combination was used 1917/18 which is to late for S/W Africa. The material combination wasn't a descision of the fuze producing companies - they got official instructions from the prussian war ministry which material they had to use. During war the complete raw material distribution was carried out by war ministry.

This fuze has all characteristics for Bulgaria. With 50 hectometers range I think it's for a mountain gun. The fuze is made by Krupp for sure. It was not delivered to Bulgaria in all cases and also used by the german army in France because Germany had no own mountain guns when the war started.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the reply and explanation.

I had discounted its use in France because I couldn't find anything online so thanks for putting me straight there, and pinning it down to being used late war by either Bulgaria or Germany.