What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France, bad flea market shopping

This is really sad.
I guess there are those out there driven purely by money who think "once this stuff is out of my hands, its someone elses problem".
In this case, the repercussions have now come full circle.
I'm sure he'll have lots of time to consider his actions in the quiet of his prison cell...
Still, without disrespecting the poor chap who lost his life, I can't help but question his motives for tampering with this stuff??
The unfortunate part is that it gives all legitimate and responsible collectors a bad name, when we are trying to promote our responsibility and understanding and respect of all things ordnance.

This is really sad.
I guess there are those out there driven purely by money who think "once this stuff is out of my hands, its someone elses problem".
In this case, the repercussions have now come full circle.
I'm sure he'll have lots of time to consider his actions in the quiet of his prison cell...
Still, without disrespecting the poor chap who lost his life, I can't help but question his motives for tampering with this stuff??
The unfortunate part is that it gives all legitimate and responsible collectors a bad name, when we are trying to promote our responsibility and understanding and respect of all things ordnance.

The great problem is that there are collectors (responsible and well knowing what they collect) and collectors who know better than anyone and who laugh when real experts tell them that these ammunition remain dangerous, even after 100 years ! I guess in this case we are dealing with the second kind of collectors (I hope !).
Two grandfathers, one in jail, one death ! Two families who now know that ammunition found in the woods and fields are dangerous !
I hope that real collectors will understand why the fairs militaria (especially Ciney) are so closely watched. Sorry, but it's not written on your front that you're a responsible collector.

Pfff, so bad and sad !

Yoda

I agree, and its an unfortunate fact that human nature drives us in all sorts of directions, good or otherwise.
I'm not sure we'll ever really learn?
I am certain that because of the nature of what ordnance collectors aquire, those (responsible) collectors will be well aware of being constantly in the spotlight.
Million dollar question is how do you distinguish between a responsible collector, and a 'collector'?
The answer is, you can't.
And a tragic tale, like this, is usually the outcome.

English version please

Hi Kiwieod,

From what I've managed to translate on Google, (and correct me if I'm wrong) a French 68 year SNCF (railways) retiree had bought four relic (?) shells from a garage sale and had taken them home, where he had 'manipulated' one of them (newspapers words), which caused it to explode, ending his life.
The garage sale vendor was arrested and charged with manslaughter and possesion of illegal 'weapons' (the live shells) and another shell was confiscated from his stall.

Right click the page and translation turns up, click that and the page coverts.