What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified 3" projectile

A member at the Militaria Forum needs an ID. I mentioned this site to join up, new members are always welcome? Here are pics, it is about 3" dia, weighs about 15 lbs, dated 1903, nice piece.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 80
They made autos from before WW1 and sold the gun shop to Savage. If I remember right, they had the Lewis gun business in the US, and Savage continued it through WW1.

My copies of Naval weapons books are on lead to a friend. I can recommend books by Friedman and Campbell, you might find them in local libraries or for sale on line. There are good web sites under the Naval Weapons or Naval guns you could try on line. I can remember seeing some thing on Driggs Seabury 3" guns, but cannot find where as my considerable library is all mixed up. Good Luck, the Otter

I saw this 3"/23 on the NavWeapons site. Looks close, especially the target round, but close is not good enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 42
To clarify, does the threaded hole in the base open up to an interior cavity for a filler, or is it just a tracer hole?

I
found Friedmans listing of a Driggs 3 "Mark 13 boat gun (landing gun?). Sounds good, but no photos or drawings.

It's marked to the Driggs Guns and Ammunition Co, has a flat tip, takes a small base fuze or tracer/fuze etc. so I think it's a common shell. Your drawing is accurate but
the top of the common shell image is cut off I think it would show a flat tip.

Also, it looks to me like it is stamped "Lot 1"....Lot 1 of 1903 or Lot 1 of ever? Just thought that was kind of interesting...I could be wrong, its tough to make out, but that's what it looks like to me...