What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Bullet

Dutch

On an alchaelogigal side a projectile was found beside a German solder with his rifle in a defencehole.
It seems to me the lead core was pressed out of the back from the bullet, somehow.

I looked true the .303 book of P. Labbett & P.J.F. Mead, but I was not able to identify a bullet.

I hope my British fellow collectors can help me.

It was found on the Hill 80.

http://hill80.com/

btw. During the past weeks over 80 solders were found and they becoming after identifying a grave.

Z4.jpgZ1.jpgZ2.jpgZ3.jpg

Last edited:
As a wartime exigency, the aluminium tip of the core in .303" Mk VII Ball, was replaced with either compressed paper, fibre or ceramic. In the case of the former two when the bullet is exposed to extreme heat such as in a fire, the tip decomposes and the gas pressure is sufficient to push the lead core out of the jacket.

TimG

I thought the lead core was held in place with the base formed over to form a shoulder, therefore making it extremely difficult to protrude out the back without breaking open the formed base. to suggest that the lead core poked out of the base as shown would mean a very thick jacket. What is the material protruding out. The first thing that came to mind was a tracer or incendiary element that did'nt go off or an experimental round where the element was fixed part way protruding as not to lose the efficiency of the bullet weight. I have examined all types of bullet mainly .303 on a WW1 disused range but found no cores protruding. Compare the weight of the bullet to a normal bullet and its center of gravity. If the core has been pushed to the back then the front will be lighter in weight.

The example shown by pysall appears to have more mass than could actually fit inside the jacket. Would be good to see an x-ray to see if the jacket is empty or not.

The rear of the jacket/envelope is rolled to retain the core in normal circumstances. What is visible in the above images is not the core but an extrusion of the core. Lead is a very soft and somewhat ductile metal. Lead pipe was/is made by using an hydraulic ram to force a large piece of lead through a die that had a central core. Akin to a giant toothpaste tube.

Pysall's example, I would suggest, would be too long to fit in a case.

TimG

I could understand the force of lead being pushed out under hydraulic forces at the factory making the core and under presser within the bore of the rifle being fired but not outside the bore withing flight or on impact. Until the bullet is xrayed i would suggest that this is some sort of tracer or incendiary element, either not set off or extruded its self under time and corrosion.
The rear of the jacket/envelope is rolled to retain the core in normal circumstances. What is visible in the above images is not the core but an extrusion of the core. Lead is a very soft and somewhat ductile metal. Lead pipe was/is made by using an hydraulic ram to force a large piece of lead through a die that had a central core. Akin to a giant toothpaste tube.

Pysall's example, I would suggest, would be too long to fit in a case.

TimG

Bear in mind this only happens in a fire so the lead is already significantly softened.

Gentlemen,
the jacket is hollow. The tip is missing and the lead is oxidized too. this would explain the 9 grain difference in weight from the ball bullet illustrated. Both beach-dug from the same aircraft range.
IMG_1026 (2).jpgIMG_1027 (2).jpg

But surely if the lead was hot enough to melt it would run out like a liquid?

True Jim, and in cases I have seen that often happens, but if the fire is not of sufficient strength then the lead is extruded.

@ TimG
I forwarded your answer to the guy’s on side.
They can confirm it because they found also a lot of items in that aria who were extended to extreme heath.

I would like to thank all members who response to the question.

Dutch

Attachments

• Z5.jpg
    Z5.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 34